Even if you still have your job intact you probably have a close friend or relative who is diligently looking for work. It seems almost no one is immune to the stressors of worrying about job security.
Keeping yourself up-to-date in your field always makes good business and personal sense! But it makes extra special sense in the job market today. Human beings are set apart from the rest of the animal kingdom because we are goal-driven. It is in our human nature to enjoy growth of the mind. Learning keeps us active and engaged.
“I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma.” – Eartha Kitt
In the current job market it is even more important to stay abreast in your field and your industry. It may seem that you have no control over your job. But if you don’t have control, who does? You may not have control over whether you continue to work at XYZ Company, but you can begin to control your chances of being employed. “Employability” should be your focus.
Questions to begin the process:
- What do you enjoy doing?
- What are you doing when you lose all sense of time and space? In the zone…?
- What are your natural talents?
- Are you continually learning?
- How is your energy level? (diet, exercise, sleep habits, spiritual life, and general health)
- Are you active in your community, industry, associations, and your specific field?
- Have you kept your certifications and professional designations up to date?
- Are you reading the right books and periodicals?
- Is your resume current?
- Do you have personal and professional goals?
- Do you have financial goals?
- How strong are your communication skills, both written and verbal?
- Are you up-to-date with technology?
These are the types of things that everyone needs to work on perfecting. A question worth repeating… “If you are not in charge of your career, who is?” – Judy W. Bell